FilAm Group Fosters Community by Sharing Tradition, Culture
The Filipino-American Group fosters community by sharing the Filipino tradition and culture with the SFC parish and school.
The SFC FilAm Group is a group of Filipino, Americans and friends who share Filipino tradition and culture with the parish community. This is one of SFC’s fastest growing organizations. We sponsor Filipino traditions and events in the parish to promote greater understanding and friendship between the parish various cultural groups.
The SFC FilAm Group sponsors/organizes a number of parish and school community activities:
- Simbang Gabi at SFC – 2 days in Dec. (Advent Novena masses)
- Easter Egg Hunt (after 9:30 Easter Sunday mass)
- Asian Food Booth in October (at the SFC Fiesta)
- Leads one Friday’s Stations of the Cross (during Lent)
- Teams with MCO for one Lenten Soup Night (Cooks Filipino soup)
- Holds the Easter Egg Hunt
- Parish annual picnic in June
- FilAm Family picnic for members and relatives (August)
- Cooks one or two of the Village House meals
- Meets approximately every other month
For more information contact FilAm officers Maria Sarmiento or Parish Council Member Lyle Adams.
Celebrate Simbang Gabi at 7:00 PM December 18; Pot Luck to Follow
“Simbang Gabi is a Filipino Christmas tradition. It is a series of nine dawn masses. The mass starts as early as 4:00 a.m. It begins on December 16 and ends on the midnight of the 24th of December, which is the midnight mass.
This tradition was introduced by the Spanish friars to allow the farmers to hear mass before going to the fields early in the morning. Simbang Gabi is also known by its popular Spanish name as the Misa de Gallo, or ‘Mass of the Rooster.”’
For more on this rich tradition see https://holidappy.com/…/Filipino-Christmas-Tradition-Simban…