It’s time for the ICF’s Annual Frank Guidace Memorial Bocce Tournament to be held July 8 at St. Frances Cabrini.
While you may know St. Frances Cabrini’s bocce courts are maintained and operated by the Italian Catholic Federation’s Branch 191. But do you know the history of the courts?
The bocce courts were an inspiration from Frank Guidace who was Branch 191’s President in 1998. With the idea of having the courts as a place for ICF members and parishioners to gather for a friendly game of bocce, he presented the idea to Father Bob Kifer for approval. Frank was elated when Father Kifer approved and with special support from members Jim Jones and Sal Cosentino the courts were built. Unfortunately Frank did not live to see his dream completed, but his memory lives on with the yearly Frank Guidace Bocce Tournament held in July. This year’s event is scheduled for July 8. See this Facebook page for more details.
Over the years Frank’s dream has grown. Besides having three bocce courts, there is a place to play horse shoes and a picnic area with a barbeque. Each Spring, Summer and into early Fall the courts are made available for parties.
For more information about the bocce courts call/email Aldine Grisenti – 408-559-1242; email firstname.lastname@example.org or Esther Ramonda 408-559-4669.
This year’s Tournament guidelines include:
- 8 – 12 team maximum, 2 or 3 team minimum play
- 4 person teams
- Round Robin, 3 – 4 games per team minimum play
- Time limit on game, 45 minutes (so all can play)
- U.S. Bocce Western Open Rules will be abided by. See http://usbf.us/uploads/3/5/1/8/35186547/open-rules.pdf
- $40 fee per player
- $15 fee for lunch “non-players” & all volunteers
- Prizes for 1st Place $160, 2nd Place $80, and 3rd Place $40
- Perpetual trophy
- Got questions? Call Esther Ramonda (408) 559-4669
- Mail Payments: Esther Ramonda, 2853 Via Carmen, San Jose CA 95124
(Check payable to: ICF 191)
TO ENTER THE TOURNAMENT, PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW AND REPLY BY JUNE 30, 2017
Team Name: ICF Branch #
Player #1 Captain
Contact Phone Number
For future events please provide address, phone number, and email of each team player.